As the weather cools down and we leave the dog days of summer behind, many homeowners are turning their attention to long-planned home improvement projects. From a value and return-on-investment perspective, the kitchen is one of the best spaces to upgrade in your home. In this article, we’ll review several DIY kitchen improvement projects you can take on this fall, as well as what you need to get started.
Paint your cabinets and countertops
Countertops and cabinets are the first thing most people notice in your kitchen. Not surprisingly, they have a major impact on the value of your kitchen and your home, as a whole. If you’re a homeowner who is looking to add value and visual “pop” to your kitchen, start here.
More and more homeowners are deciding to paint, not replace, their kitchen cabinets. There are three key reasons for this:
- The cost of new, high-quality cabinets is much higher than the relatively low cost of painting them.
- Painting allows homeowners to change the aesthetics of relatively new cabinets that are still in good condition.
- The rise of high-quality cabinet paint, such as our Nuvo Cabinet Paint, allows homeowners to get great-looking cabinets without needing to replace them.
For kitchen cabinets that are in good shape and are just in need of a visual facelift, using a painting kit would make sense.
When most people think about remodeling their kitchen, their mind jumps to replacing the countertops. There’s actually another option: painting your counters. With a DIY paint kit such as the Giani countertop paint, you can give your existing countertops the look of natural stone at a fraction of the cost. These kits come in a wide variety of styles and colors, so there’s one for every home.
Replace your sink
The kitchen sink is a key focal point for activity in the kitchen. It’s where you wash dishes and prepare food. Despite its importance, too many homeowners are stuck with dingy, dirty sinks that originally came with the home. This is why replacing the sink—as well as its faucets and fixtures—makes sense as a kitchen improvement project ahead of the holiday season.
When it comes to selecting a new sink, think about your kitchen holistically. If you already have stainless steel appliances, a stainless steel sink is probably the right way to go. On the other hand, if it’s a match for your countertops and cabinets, a farmhouse-style sink with a front apron could be a stunning visual addition.
Aesthetics are important, but don’t forget about functionality. Make sure the sink wash basin is large enough to meet your cleaning needs. Opt for more expensive, but more versatile, faucets and fixtures—having at least one faucet with a hose attachment is a dishwashing game changer for most homeowners.
Make small changes with big impacts
Not every kitchen improvement needs to a major change. Here are some of the small, yet impactful, alterations homeowners can make to their kitchen to add value:
- Adding backsplash: The right backsplash can make all the difference when it complements your countertops and cabinets. For the classic look of backsplash tile at a fraction of the cost, be sure to consider backsplash paint products such as our GIANI SUBWAY TILE KIT.
- Changing out lighting: You’d be surprised at the difference that lighting makes. Swapping out bright, harsh fluorescents for cooler lights in the kitchen can make a world of difference. Pendant lighting over a kitchen island or under-cabinet lighting can also increase the utility of the kitchen while simultaneously highlighting its best features.
- New paint, new space: Don’t overlook the power of paint! A fresh coat for your kitchen walls can make the space feel new and exciting. What’s more, paint is one of the least-expensive upgrades you can make to your kitchen.
Whether you’re completely remodeling or just making a few improvements, investing in your kitchen makes sense. Not only will you and your family enjoy the space in the present, but you’re also adding value to your home for the future.
Written by Samantha Jonhnson, senior editor and communications specialist at Superior Stone & Cabinet , the go-to source for custom and wholesale countertops & cabinets in sunny Phoenix, AZ. When not in the office, Samantha really enjoys gourmet cooking and traveling with her pup. She is also an avid reader.